No products in the cart.
S E L E N I U M
Selenium is a trace mineral (required in small amounts only) vital for our health. We are not able to produce selenium as it is mainly found in soil and water. This means that it’s crucial we consume foods that contain the mineral and/or take a supplement.
It plays a major role in numerous body processes including immune system support and thyroid hormones production. Therefore, it isn’t surprising that people who suffer from hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid) are deficient in selenium, as well as iodine. A healthy thyroid gland is important since it regulates your metabolism and controls growth and development.
A recent study showed selenium supplements may benefit people with Hashimoto’s disease. The study found that those who took the supplement daily for three months resulted in lower thyroid antibodies and improved overall mood and well-being. This is why our Natural Thyroxine product contains the mineral needed.
➕ good source of antioxidants, so it protects the body from free radical damage
➕ lowers the risk of getting certain cancers
➕ helps protect against cardiovascular disease
➕ reduces inflammation in the body
➕ can help avoid mental health issues including Alzheimer’s
➕ effective in reducing asthma symptoms (because of selenium’s ability to reduce inflammation)
𝐃𝐢𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰? ❓
- The mineral in powder form is used in laser printers and photocopiers
- JUST ONE Brazil nut contains 174% of the daily required amount of selenium!
- According to Jefferson’s Lab, when light is thrown on selenium, it conducts electricity
According to a survey, about 1 billion people in the world are selenium deficient. Symptoms include:
- fatigue and mental fog
- hair loss
- weak immunity
As we discussed, our bodies cannot produce selenium. This means that the only source of the mineral comes from food that grows in soil or water (seafood). According to a report by the National Institute of Health, seafood and organ meats are great sources of selenium.
Other food sources of the mineral include:
- Nuts & seeds including Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds & cashews
- Chicken, turkey, pork, beef & fish
- Dairy including eggs, cottage cheese, yoghurt & milk
- Whole grains including bread, oats & brown rice
- Fruits & vegetables including mushrooms, spinach & bananas